Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ow! Volume 1

  I bobo. If you don't know what a bobo is, then you did not grow up in a French-Canadian family or know anyone who is French-Canadian. A bobo is any injury that is not serious enough to warrant medical attention but does warrant whining. You can also complain about a bobo after a medical visit, as I often (i.e. all the time) do after blood work, you know when they jab a needle into your arm and try to suck out as much as possible. Fun times, let me tell you. 
   A bobo can also be soemthing so minor that you forget about it in an hour's time. For me, I only whine and hobble after, let's say, I walked into a door and banged my toe AND SOMEONE CARES. I can very easily shake it off and go on, but if someone expresses any type of sympathy then I will milk it like an old dairy cow. Usually it ends comically with some jokes and jabs and the bobo is forgotten. Serious bobos (or boboes? Huh....) are generally ignored, like when I broke my toe dancing this past fall and it turned blue and swelled up. ("Swelled up" doesn't look right does it. Oh, fuck it.) 
  Right now though, I bobo. Two days ago, I put a pair of sterling silver earrings into my infected ears, hoping that they would calm down after a few days. Nope. In fact, they now contain hard little bubbles that smell bad and contain green stuff. Oh, perhaps I should have mentioned it was gross? Oh well. I just removed the earrings, rubbed alcohol on everything and hopefully they will get better. I'm pissed because a) they bobo! b) they're not closed still, even though they were done six years ago because my body is stubborn and c) I can't watch comedy on my computer because my ears bobo! Oh, I said that already. Shit. 
  So, now you know about bobos, and are well informed and full of knowledge. Your welcome. But I wonder, what did you call bobos when you were little? How were minor injuries treated in your house? Did your parents freak out like mine and run and get you water, even if you had just fell down the stairs and the last thing you wanted was water? I wanna know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment